Healthy eating on a budget
14th June 2017
Affordable healthy eating
Cooking healthy foods the whole family will enjoy doesn’t have to be expensive. Just make sure you’ve got good value, nutritious store cupboard staples to hand, such as whole grain foods like oats, wholewheat flour, brown rice, bulgur wheat, wholewheat pasta and cous cous. Whole grains are typically low in fat and a good source of fibre. Ingredients like these not only provide beneficial nutrients, but are extremely versatile, so can be used to make a host of inexpensive, nutritious and tasty meals.
More tips to eat well for less:
- Plan meals and your shopping list, so you buy only the amounts and types of food needed; less impulse
- Include tinned and frozen foods in your shop as there’s lots of tasty, nutritious options for less expense – and long shelve lives too
- Buy some fruit ripe, and some to ripen later
- Check ‘best before’ / ‘use by’ dates and pick products with the latest dates available, to help minimize waste
- Read the storage advice on packaging for best practices – it may surprise you e.g. did you know storing bread in the fridge can make it go stale quicker?
- Look for recipes to use leftovers; there’s lots available online like these Love Food Hate Waste recipes
- Batch cook and use leftovers for another meal or freeze for another day
For more ideas, read NHS Choices 20 tips to eat well for less
Recipes – healthy eating on a budget
Here’s a selection of some healthy whole grain recipes costing less than £1.50 per person – and they’re easy to make too!
Toasted Oats & Yogurt Layer recipe – a lovely mix of oats, blueberries, honey and yogurt
Baked Barley and Butternut Squash Risotto recipe – provides fibre and contributes to your five-a-day
Moroccan Turkey Kofta Pittas recipe – low in fat and saturated fat
One-Pot Chicken and Oaty Sweet Potato Roast recipe – made with oats, which contain the soluble fibre beta-glucan, shown to help lower blood cholesterol
Get inspired – blogs, recipes, videos and more to liven up your day
CompetitionWhole Grain Challenge Competition on Mumsnet
CompetitionCooking Equipment Giveaway Competition