Top Ten Tips – Oats
8th August 2016
Try to eat some delicious oats every day for great nutritional benefits. Here’s our top ten tips for getting more oats into your diet – it’s surprisingly easy!
- Tuck into a bowl of porridge topped with honey, yogurt or fruit for a delicious start to the day.
- Liven up your breakfast with some tasty muesli or granola served with milk or yogurt. Add extra colour, flavour and nutrients by topping with different fruits, nuts, spices and seeds.
- Store a batch of rolled oat muesli in an air-tight jar, providing a quick, easy and filling breakfast that will help keep hunger pangs at bay for longer during the morning.
- Help to quash that mid-morning snack attack by eating oats for breakfast. In case you do feel peckish before lunch, keep a stock of healthy snacks like oatcakes and fruit to hand.
- Don’t miss out on lunch, choose sandwiches made with oat bread and filled with lean meat, chicken/turkey, fish or a vegetarian option, and some salad vegetables to provide you with an all-round healthy meal.
- Off to the gym after work? Remember to top-up your energy levels by eating a flapjack or an oat-based cookie.
- Oats aren’t just for breakfast. Try them in your evening meal too. Try oatcake pancakes instead of pasta or potatoes, or top grilled fish such as salmon with oatmeal and herbs.
- Don’t go to bed feeling hungry. Oatcakes and a milky drink make an ideal choice for a simple late-evening snack and could also help those who struggle to get to sleep.
- Swap in some oat flour to your bread, cake, pancake or muffin recipes for great texture and flavour.
- For a tasty and nutritious boost, thicken soups and stews with oats, or add a handful of oats to your smoothies or yogurts.
If you enjoyed these, why not check out our Top Ten Tips for Whole Grains
Get inspired – blogs, recipes, videos and more to liven up your day
CompetitionWhole Grain Challenge Competition on Mumsnet
CompetitionCooking Equipment Giveaway Competition