Mango & Passion Fruit Muffins Recipe
Flavoured with mangoes and fresh fruit juice, these muffins are naturally sweet and need no added sugar - just a little in the passionfruit glaze.
Cost Per Serving
Nutrition Per Serving
- Calories234 kcal
Calories are a measure of the amount of energy in food and drink. Your weight depends on the balance between how much energy you consume and how much energy you use up. If you eat or drink more than you use you can gain weight. If you don’t eat enough you can lose it.
Your body wouldn’t function without fat. Fat is an essential part of a healthy balanced diet. It provides fat soluble vitamins and essential fatty acids. But as fat is a rich source of energy (calories), it can easily contribute to weight gain.
On average as a nation it seems we’re consuming too much saturated fat. Eating too much can increase your cholesterol, which is a risk factor for heart disease. Replacing saturated fats with unsaturated fats can help maintain healthy cholesterol levels, and reduce the risk of heart disease.
Starchy foods like bread, breakfast cereals or potatoes are a good source of carbohydrate and should make up just over a third of the food you eat. When eaten, carbohydrates are broken down into glucose, which is used to fuel cells in your body like brain and muscle cells. Some people think starchy carbohydrates are fattening, but gram for gram it contains less than half the calories of fat. Choose whole grain or high fibre varieties where you can as they often contain more nutrients.
On average in the UK we eat too much sugar. Foods and drinks high in sugars are not needed in the diet. So if you have them, make sure they're infrequent and in small amounts, or you risk tooth decay or obesity.
Fibre is classed as a carbohydrate and you should aim to eat 30g fibre each day. Eating plenty of fibre is good for your digestive health and is associated with a lower risk of heart disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes and some cancers.
All cells and tissues contain protein, so it’s essential for growth, repair and good health. Protein from animal sources such as meat, fish, eggs and dairy products contain all the essential amino acids (the building blocks of protein) needed by the body. If you're vegetarian or vegan, you can get the protein you need through eating a variety of different plant sources such as pulses, nuts and cereals.
Thanks for rating. Now leave a tip or review
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, gas mark 6.
- Line a 12 section muffin tray with paper muffin cases. Put the mango pieces and 200ml (7fl oz) of the fruit juice in a saucepan. Heat until the juice bubbles around the edges then reduce the heat, cover and cook gently for 5 minutes. Leave to cool.
- Blend the mango and juice in a food processor or blender until pureed but with some pieces of fruit remaining. Turn into a bowl and beat in the egg, butter and remaining juice.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl, tipping in the grains left in the sieve. Add the mango mixture and stir gently with a large metal spoon until only just combined. Divide among the paper cases and bake for about 15 minutes until risen and golden. Transfer to a wire rack and leave to cool for 15 minutes.
- Halve the passionfruit and scoop the pulp into a small bowl. Add the icing sugar and stir until mixed. Drizzle the icing over the muffins and serve warm or cold.
- Like most muffin recipes, these are best served on the day they're made.
- Any uneaten muffins will freeze well, preferably un-iced, for a later date. You could always make a half-quantity of icing and glaze half the muffins. Remove them from the freezer as they're required, heating through in a moderate oven until warmed.